I chanced upon the works of George R.R. Martin (or as my husband says, George R.R.R.R.R…. Martin ;-)) when I started looking for books to buy and load onto my Kobo last summer. So I bought the first four volumes of A Song of Ice and Fire and quickly chumped through them (in an electronic sort of way). I like a good, long story with many twists and turns and I quite enjoyed the ride.
The books feature the various quests made by a variety of characters: quests for power, love, lust, identify, meaning, fortune, safety, past, future, etc. As the story progresses through the books, these quests are interwoven into so many many plots that I am now getting lost in the fifth volume… There are characters that have not surfaced for quite a while and I am wondering when they will show up again. Stories on the internet say that the author has two more volumes planned… Not sure I will have to strength to follow him to the end.
Here are my unanswered questions (I am 40% through the 5th book at this point):
- Is Theon going to get flayed again?
- Is Tyrion going to survive the trip to Meereen?
- Where is Arya?
- Is Bran going to take root in that cave he is hiding him and will he ever come out again?
- What’s happening with the black dragon?
- Will the ghost of Caitlin Tully surface again?
- Is Cersei getting older and what is she up to?
- Is Asha dead?
- What happened to Brienne again?
- What’s Peter doing hiding at the Aerie?
- Will Jorah Mormont be rehabilitated as a knight?
- Is Sam Tarly still sailing around Westeros?
OK, I am sure you get the point… There are a lot of loose ends at this point. I am frustrated but I feel compelled to keep reading.